Saving closet space may not be rocket science, but sometimes it can sure feel like it! Closets get crowded so easily. Switching back and forth between seasons can make matters worse. If you’re ready to take control of your closet, then good for you! It may take a little time and a little work, but having an organized, spacious closet is worth it.
1. Get out of season clothes out of the closet. Winter clothes especially are bulky and take up a lot of space. They either eat up the closet with huge bins, or require more space than you can make on your hanging bar. The key is to get some of that out of the closet. Instead of storing out of season clothing in the closet when you’re not using them, find some attic, garage, or spare bedroom space for storage. Use mcm phone case containers that seal out moisture and protect your clothes from insects. Cedar closet accessories are great for keeping clothes smelling fresh, repelling insects, and absorbing moisture.
2. What if your closet is still crowded after you remove the alternate season’s clothes? You can make extra room by getting the bulkiest items out of there. Big coats and comforters take up a lot of space. Comforters can be stored in big bags that you can vacuum the air out of. You’ll be shocked how much smaller they get! Then you can simply prop them against the wall behind your hanging clothes and they’re off the shelf completely. You can hang big coats on a wall mounted bar outside of the closet. Dress it up a bit with wooden coat hangers and you won’t mind having it as part of your décor. You can also use a portable garment rack to keep clothes mcm iphone 7 case that aren’t used very often out of sight.
3. Once you’ve done that, you closet should be getting better. Give away as many clothes as you can. If you are storing something that you didn’t wear last season, then you’re probably going to care about it even less when it comes out of storage again. Have an exchange with friends and give whatever is left to charity. Another option is to have a garage sale and use the money to update your closet.
4. Install some shelving that accommodates the items that you own. If you waste a lot of vertical space because shorter items sit on deep shelves, then add some smaller shelves or cubbies on top of the existing shelf. A simple riser or divider can double the space in mcm iphone 6 case the closet storage areas.
5. Make the absolute most of closet space by utilizing space saving hangers, like velvet hangers. These new hangers are super strong and have a velvet coating to prevent clothes from slipping and ending up in the floor. They come in different styles that can hold multiple items on one space saving hanger. You’ll love the look and be shocked at how much space these slim velvet hangers can make.
Rick Miller is on the staff of Only Slimline Hangers, a leading online resource for velvet hangers which are space saving hangers, non slip hangers and slim line hangers.